Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Sleep training part 1

So I will be starting a new sleeping technique, or I should say wake-up technique. The following was taken from the link at the top and is written by a man named Steve Pavlina. In short, he describes a route to getting up at the same time every day early in the morning. As early in the morning as you decide. The method is analogous to memorizing new vocabulary words, such as 'premonition', and using that word every day for the next year. Eventually, usage of the word will not be forced and you will use it in everyday speech unconsciously. Steve describes a procedure which must be learned in a rote memory fashion and strictly repeated until one follows the protocol naturally. He says this procedure works so well that it will be difficult and unnatural not to wake up early. The link is here http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2006/04/how-to-get-up-right-away-when-your-alarm-goes-off/

I do not think this ritualistic wake-up procedure should be the same for everyone, but I feel it must be followed rigorously for initiation and propagation of the early wakeup action. I am going to get up at 5am tomorrow morning as a test, if I succeed I will post something short on this blog. If I fail, my discipline is not yet strong enough and I will practice the ritual while already wide awake (a suggestion from Steve).

1. Alarm goes off and in response turn it off as fast as you can.
2. stretch all-at-once your arms legs back neck feet and hands after taking a deep breathe.
3. Get out of bed and plant feet solidly on the floor.
4. Get dressed
5. Eat a snack
6. Exercise for 30 minutes
7. Take a shower
8. Eat breakfast

practice steps 1-3 during the daytime to braise memory.

1 comment: