Friday, August 20, 2010

Day 8 of 14: 5am morning exercise

I was unable to get out of bed until 8am yesterday which made me feel like I was sleeping in. Sadly, it was one of those hit-the-snooze-a-hundred-times sort of deals where I keep thinking I will wake up the next time the alarm sounds and after awhile I give up on those thoughts and just hit the snooze button mindlessly, sometimes for hours. It is becoming clear that in order to wake up and stay up I need exercise. On the other hand, I am feeling tired this morning and in the afternoons on some days which is leading me to believe I need more sleep than I am getting*. I tend to go to bed at 1030-1130 which is 5.5-6.5 hours of sleep per night assuming I fall asleep quickly.


I have to attend a graduate student instructor conference this morning at 830 so I am unable to go back to bed. I think that by falling asleep this early for 15 minutes or more would make me unhappy and feel even more tired. The alternative is to make some coffee or tea to wake me up.--->English breakfast tea here I come. It could have something to do with my diet this morning. Before I run in the morning I usually eat half an apple and half a pear or half a pear and a quarter cantelope. After showering, I have been eating either 2 eggs or 1/2 cup dried steel-cut oats which are loaded with complex carbohydrates that, unlike simple sugars in fruits, take a long time to digest and I think make me tired. I have not confirmed this so it could be fruit or lack of sleep too. I add agave syrup, peanut butter and raisins to the oats. As a test I want to change my morning diet to a green veggie and fruit smoothie. In order to do this I need a good blender or juicer. I hear the Vitamix is an awesome blender with entry level models upwards of $500 it is likely built to be durable and functional. When I pay off my credit line at the end of this month I want to purchase one.


*On my mother's advice I will get up at 6am instead of 5am and be in bed by 10 to sleep for 8 hours and tell you how I feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment