Thursday, August 12, 2010

The First Week trial

I am going to begin a wake-up ritual. It will involve waking up at 5:00am every morning, eating a piece of fruit, getting 20 minutes of exercise within 10 minutes of waking up. Showering, and eating fruit while writing on this blog,

Day 1:
Wow, I always knew that few people were outside in the early morning, but it is strange running down busy main streets with almost no cars around, kind of like a 28-Days-Later feeling, but you would only catch that reference had you seen the movie about a zombie virus killing an entire city with only a couple people surviving to experience the epic metropolis vacancy. The sky is getting lighter in its deep blue color as I type. I want to open my window and get dressed so I do. An orange this morning is particularly satisfying being both juicy, sweet, and tart. It quenches both my thirst and hunger for calories.

I should mention I am also attempting to convert to raw foodism. This effort has been difficult due to me buying produce in small amounts thus running out of raw food quickly and resorting to cooking up staples like Forbidden Black China Rice with Black Eyed Peas.

What am I going to do with all this extra time? I started a blog, check. How about a journal blog? I can read and analyze a new publication related to my interests out of Science, Nature, Journal of the American Chemical Society (JACS), Journal of Organic Chemistry, Journal of Inorganic Chemistry, Organometallics, and Angewandte Chemie. This will give me the chance to stay on top of published new chemistry while simultaneously learning fundamental chemistry from my classes.

Oh yea, classes will begin in less than 2 weeks and I still have not found out which classes I want to take exactly. I spoke with a professor, Peidong Yang, yesterday about the possibility of joining of his lab to work on molecular catalysts and light activation on a Solar-to-Fuel type of project. The meeting went well and he informed me that I will basically have to shift my focus to join his lab. Which is considered a Physical Chemistry lab as opposed to the Synthetic Chemistry lab where I am currently working. I want to try and resolve this conflict of interests within my self soon because it will somewhat change the amount of classes I take and whether or not I have to write a first-year report and a 2nd year proposal before my qualifying examination. The primary difference between the two routes is that the synthetic side is less math and less about the quantum properties of molecules and atoms and more about how the molecules react together to form new molecules. I am torn because my research will ultimately require me to master both subjects in order to rationally synthesize and characterize water splitting and carbon dioxide reduction catalysts.

I plan to speak with my summer advisor (who is a synthetic chemist) about the possibility of joining his solar-to-fuel project and talk a little bit about the class requirements of the qualifying examination. The dilemma being that Berkeley does not really have any definitive course requirements for their graduate program.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! I'm not sure about the completely raw food crave. I think some things, like nuts, for instance, metabolize in your system better when they are roasted. Carrots are another example of when the enzymes are not released unless they are cooked slightly. I think I prefer the idea of 'whole foods' better, which from my translation is the idea of using foods closer to their original source, but does involve cooking. Maybe a more vegan approach, although I do like to include dairy and fish in my diet, personally, as I have a hard time getting enough protein for my liking with the vegan diet.

    A good rule of thumb that I have discovered is to eat what makes you personally feel good. If raw foods is the ticket, then go for it! If not, find a path where you thrive.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete