Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Persuasion Day 7 of the 7 day trial

I am merely practicing the art of writing. I am reassured by the link connected to the title of this post. I felt as if I had not been writing enough and this blog has become a way to write more often and practice publicly publishing my thoughts. Multiple subjects relating to graduate school, writing a thesis, giving public presentations and becoming a professor are mentioned within the website which was suggested to me by a good friend, to him I am grateful.

Yesterday, I did not get up and stay up at 5am. My mental state is always cloudy when first awakening, but yesterday morning felt particularly difficult in the sense that I was sore from the day before and likely had eaten too much cooked ground buffalo. This morning has gone much smoother and I woke up feeling more energetic and willing to exercise. I even survived on less sleep, about 4.75 hours or less depending on how long it took me to fall asleep. I know I fell asleep quickly, but I am not sure if it was due to my level of natural exhaustion at 12:00am or if it was the few drinks of Imperial Stout and Margarita I had. Regardless, I was delighted to spend time dining at Mexicali Rose Restaurant in Oakland and drinking at Pacific Crest Brew Pub with a professor, his wife, a few post-doctoral students and a fellow incoming graduate student, most of whom I am quickly getting to know.

As a side note, an idea taken from a conversation I had with a professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. We should not pursue just one solution to the problems we face in society. For example, our dependence on petroleum products, foreign oil, and limited fossil fuel energy. We should pursue all solutions because there will be more than one solution to our multitude of problems. In Calculus, even a basic two-variable differential equation can have multiple solutions and we live in a much larger level of complexity than a two-variable differential equation describes. Or do we?

2 comments:

  1. sudden Reflects:

    'pursue all solutions'

    In an ideal world we should pursue everything and every man should be an omnibus of every knowledge and all experiences.

    'Or do we?'

    Some things get simple when they are deeply understood or else we can also - and at the same time - call them infinitely complex.

    From glancing at your page today and yesterday, I still don't get what field your going into.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am entering synthetic chemistry and thinking deeply about entering synthetic biochemistry.

    ReplyDelete