Monday, February 21, 2011

I do so much work I don't even look at it

So, today I was feeling blah about being a graduate student. Particularly, I wasn't feeling very good about working in a chemistry laboratory. Smelling fumes all day and feeling quite unfruitful at synthesizing, purifying, isolating, and characterizing molecules. Unable to accept my current state, I struggled through the whole day, resisting nearly everything. However , I am slowly learning that I should let go of what i deem painful or irrelevant because it all pertains to the present, to what is, to my work. The funny, sad, and strange part is, I didn't feel good about work today, but I actually accomplished a lot. For example, I cleaned an entire rack of glassware left over from cleaning up the benches and hoods of a 4 person lab. I also submitted and categorized 8x4Liters of "spent/used" chemicals, normally referred to as waste, to college Environmental Health and Safety. I cleaned out glass fritted filters using concentrated Hydrochloric acid mixed with Sodium Hypochlorite (Clorox Bleach). Furthermore, I cleaned all my NMR sample tubes, read a paper on Hematite (Iron Oxide Fe2O3) Nanostructures coated on Titanium Silicide nanonets (TiSi), and set up a recrystallization of starting material which required a vast solubility screen in solvents like chloroform, bromoform, dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO), ethyl acetate, hexanes, acetone, benzene, toluene, and chlorobenzene. It turns out bromoform works the best, but I used chloroform instead since its cheaper and could work just as well. The point is, I need to walk into the fire, face the music, and accept the headache, otherwise life is hell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment