Friday, October 8, 2010

The Runaround

Today was the 33rd annual 3 kilometre race

3000 meters = 1.86411358 miles

around the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratories. LBNL is located on steep hilly terrain perched loftily above the UC Berkeley campus. The sun shining brightly and the wind had a cool touch. I shuffled around the crowd just before the start of the race to find a position within the top 1/8th of the 780 runners. I wanted to be ahead of the slow people, but not ahead of the fast runners. As the man with the megaphone hollered, "ready, set, go" I started jogging, but quickly realised everyone around me was going too slow so I started weaving between the foot traffic like a crazed teenager with a sports car (which used to be myself). I should have positioned myself at the starting line. While the fastest male runner came in somewhere around 9 minutes and 30 seconds, an astonishingly short amount of time for almost, I came in at 12 minutes 33 seconds which is a pleasant surprise. I heard a graduate student in the Tilley lab had won first place for women with a 12 minute time so I am feeling proud, plus I got a free shirt out of the deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment